What is PRINCE2?
PRINCE2 (Projects IN Controlled Environments) is an internationally recognised method for managing projects in a controlled way. It can be applied to any project in any industry, and should always be tailored to suit each project's unique situation.
It was created and originally promoted by the UK government before the rights and ownership were passed to AXELOS. As a result, PRINCE2 is very popular with publicly funded organisations and their suppliers around the world.
One of the reasons for PRINCE2's enduring success is that it is a method rather than a collection of best practice. This means that there are recommended activities for each step of the project lifecycle. It is also extremely flexible, with suggestions on how to scale things up or down to suit the complexity of the project.
Is this course for you?
If you are working for a publicly funded organisation or one of its suppliers then your organisation is probably already using a tailored version of PRINCE2.
Many of the people who come along to a PRINCE2 Foundation course are new to project management and want to understand the project related conversations that are going on in their workplace. Others are experienced project managers who want to get official recognition of their expertise. Most delegates also go on to complete the Practitioner course.
Accreditation / Qualification(s) offered
Successful completion of this course will mean you will be awarded the PRINCE2 Foundation qualification.
AXELOS’ certifications are globally recognised and highly sought after by potential employers.
What this course includes
This price includes course registration, the official Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 manual, course materials and, on successfully passing the exam, an official PRINCE2 Foundation certificate from the examining body, PeopleCert.
PRINCE® is a (registered) Trade Mark of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
Duration: 3 days
Gillingham – UK
MKC Training Centre, ME4 4UG
During the 3 day introduction course, you will discover how important the Principles, Themes and Processes are, and how they can be tailored to suit a particular project. This will be achieved via a mix of formal teaching, individual activities, group work and practice exam papers.
At the end of the 3rd day there is a 1 hour multiple choice exam.
Areas covered in the course and exam are:
- PRINCE2 Overview: Introducing you to the methods, structure and context within which a PRINCE2 project operates
- Themes: Covering the various themes within the project that must be continually addressed as the project progresses through its life cycle;
- Business Case
- Processes: Understanding the PRINCE2 processes and how they are carried out throughout the project;
- Starting up a project
- Directing a project
- Initiating a project
- Controlling a project
- Managing product delivery
- Managing a stage boundary
- Closing a project
PRINCE2 Foundation is usually the first step to achieving the PRINCE2 Practitioner qualification and as such, does not have any entry requirements.
It is a good idea however to familiarise yourself with the method by completing the pre-course learning activities before the first day of training.
The PRINCE2 Foundation is also a prerequisite for the PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner.
Upon completing the PRINCE2 Foundation course, you will be able to:
- Learning Outcome 1: Understand key concepts relating to projects and PRINCE2
- Learning Outcome 2: Understand how the PRINCE2 principles underpin the PRINCE2 method
- Learning Outcome 3: Understand the PRINCE2 themes and how they are applied throughout the project
- Learning Outcome 4: Understand the PRINCE2 processes and how they are carried out throughout the project